Meet: Nneoma Ibezim ’18

“I applied to Bucknell as an engineer because I felt that environmental engineering best aligned with my hope to implement change in communities in need. I ended up finding that I was more interested in the hands-on, social side to creating this change rather than the technical side. By the end of my second semester, I had already taken four social science courses in political science, sociology, Latin American studies and education. The material that resonated with me most was sociology, but I liked that each of these classes challenged me in different ways and I wanted to continue to explore how they could be applied to sociology…

“Last semester I did community service with a group called Empowering Voices. Once a week, three of us went to ClearVision, which is a group home for delinquent and truant girls, ages 14–20. We’d talk with them about women’s issues, like self-perception, sexual violence, relationships, self-esteem, body image, things like that. Some of these girls are about my age and I saw how different we were living, but at the same time how we relate as women. I also saw a lot of positive change in the way they viewed certain topics, and the choices they made in their lives as a result of the conversations we had. Of all the things I’ve done at Bucknell that has been the most fulfilling to me.”

Read the rest of Nneoma’s story on her Bucknell Stories page.